Monday, September 29, 2014

Weekend Fun

   On Saturday my husband and I finally got to have a grown up fun day! My mom came over and watched Sadie all day for us! (It was the longest we have ever left her)  We headed out with my husbands parents and made our way down to the little towns of Fairmount and Gas City, Indiana. People flock to these cities for two reasons around this time of year because they love two things. James Dean and cars.
   James Dean grew up in the tiny town of Fairmount (as did the creator of Garfield). And that little town sure is proud of one of their most well known residents! People come from all over the world to visit during the James Dean Festival. Lets keep it real, he was a total hottie. But, the main reason we made the 2 hour drive was to check out all of the cars! My husband and father in law are total car  dudes and it was fun to see them all excited!
This Big Bertha was my favorite.

 
The orange Chevy had burlap seats. The interior was awesome!




There was a handful of pink cars. This one was the prettiest!
     We spent 6 hours walking around and drooling about cars that are way out of our price budgets. There were thousands of them! It is cool because they all bounce back and forth between the cars shows in Fairmount and near by Gas City, which is why people also refer to this festival as the James Dean Run. I can now openly admit that I have an obsession with station wagons. Forget a mini van, I would gladly drive a Vista Cruiser.

   I think that the coolest thing that I got to see during our trip was the old Fairmount High School. James Dean graduated from there in 1949. It is a GORGEOUS building! Unfortunately the backside of if collapsed in July of 2013, so there is little hope of being able to restore it. However, a few years a go the stage original stage that James Dean performed on was removed from the building. There was a fundraiser happening during the festival so that the stage could be restored.
Fairmount High School. It bums me out to see cool old buildings falling apart.

   We had a wonderful Saturday! We need to get out and have grown up fun more often. However, I could not wait to get back to my little. We sure  missed hanging out with her! But, I know she had a blast hanging out with Grandma while we were gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com