Monday, September 15, 2014

Wannabe Junk Gypsy

   I am a total wannabe Junk Gypsy. My husband and I love watching that show, but unfortunately we have Dish and it is cray cray and that channel comes and goes. So, as a result I have been having Junk Gypsy withdrawls (and it has been making want to craft/create like crazy). If we ever hit the jackpot and become ridiculously rich we are totally building a huge house out in the sticks. And those two gals are totally coming to decorate the place for us.

   Until then, I have to decorate our  house with some help from my husband/baby daddy/assistant/carpenter, Scottie 2 Hottie. We were pretty busy this weekend because we finished up several projects around our house. 2 Hottie has been working on a new baby gate to keep Sadie away from the basement stairs. It is about 97% finished and it looks AMAZING. He made it out of wood from some pallets and we have about $10 into the entire thing. I plan on posting a photo once she is 100% completed.

   I also finished up a few projects. I have been working on a bench that my husband found in our basement. ***For those of you that don't know, we purchased our house from my husband's Aunt and Uncle (almost a year ago) and they left some stuff that they didn't want when they moved out. Which, is why we did not know there was a rad bench hiding beneath the basement stairs.*** I sanded the ol' gal then covered her in some pink paint left over from Sadie's lemonade stand. Then I painted her again with a coat of  jazzy teal color and gave her a light sanding to make her funky.
It totally reminds me of a bag of cotton candy!
   While Sadie was napping I remembered that we had a ratty old wooden screen door laying out back by our bon fire pit. Naturally, I went back there and rescued it. I ripped out the screen and gave it a good sanding, and then I gave it a light coat of that same teal paint that I used on the bench. After it dried I gave it another sanding to funk up the paint and then it got hung on the big blank and boring wall in the living room!
The plan is to hang mismatched framed photos inside of it.
   After this was hung up I realized that we are developing an obsession with doors. This screen door is the third one that we have used to decorate our house. Our second door is from a set of french doors that were abandoned out in front of my father-in-law's work. Of course he rescued them because he knew that I would use them for something! One of them is now a shelf above our basement stairs (his brother is in the garage waiting to be used).
   Our first ever door came from the local Habitat For Humanity Restore shop. It is tall and we think it is from an old school or church. After some Pinterest surfing we decided that it would make a perfect corner shelf. Our old house was only 600 sq ft, so we needed something that would not take up tons of space.
It is a terrible picture, but you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com